ARUCC History with Groningen
Activities in 2015 and 2016In spring 2014, a group of interested registrarial, pathway, and application centre colleagues held a roundtable discussion at the ARUCC PCCAT biennial conference. The topic focused on international student mobility with a particular focus on encouraging collaboration for secure and efficient transcript data exchange nationally and internationally. The first outcome of that meeting resulted in the formation of the ARUCC Groningen and Student Mobility Task Force, chaired by Kathleen Massey, University Registrar and Executive Director at McGill University. With collaborative partnerships with the Pan-Canadian Consortium on Admissions and Transfer (PCCAT) and the CanPESC User Group (CanPESC), the Task Force recommended that ARUCC should become the first Canadian signatory to the international Groningen Declaration. ARUCC signed on in May 2015.
The ARUCC executive mandated the Task Force to champion the engagement of Canadian institutions in the implementation of the Groningen Declaration by fostering an ethos, culture and network that removes impediments for data portability, and provides the foundation for student mobility. These benefits will be realized throughout the various educational jurisdictions across Canada by fostering provincial models and/or pan-Canadian model of data exchange that serves Canada and the world. Members of ARUCC's first Groningen and Student Mobility Task Force spent many months in 2016 consulting with the Canadian postsecondary stakeholder community with two goals in mind: to raise awareness about the Groningen initiative and to identify future participation in provincial and/or pan-Canadian data exchange initiatives, particularly the development of a Canadian model for exchanging digital postsecondary student information, such as transcript data.
In 2015 and 2016, the ARUCC Groningen and Student Mobility Task Force invited institutions to participate in a consultation process about the creation of a Canadian model for sharing digital postsecondary student information among postsecondary institutions, with the goal of enhancing student mobility across Canada and internationally. The Task Force completed its work in June 2016 and tabled a final report at the ARUCC biennial conference. With the Task Force recommendations in hand which were overwhelmingly endorsed by the membership.
The Task Force members gratefully acknowledge the work and participation of the hundreds of volunteers who participated in the 2016 pan-Canadian consultation process. The ARUCC Executive looks forward to continuing the consultation as we move forward with bringing Groningen to Canada.
2016 Task Force Deliverables
- ARUCC Task Force Groningen and Student Mobility - Final Report - June 2016
- National Consultation Survey Results - June 2016
2016 ARUCC Groningen and Student Mobility Task Force
- Kathleen Massey, Task Force Chair; University Registrar and Executive Director (Enrolment Services), McGill University
- Andrew Arida, President, Association of Registrars of the Universities and Colleges of Canada (ARUCC); Director, Undergraduate Admissions, University of British Columbia
- Angelique Saweckzo, Registrar, University of Calgary
- Annik Gélineau, Registraire adjoint, University of Montreal
- Cathy Van Soest, Manager, Student Data Services, BCcampus
- Dr. Rob Fleming, Executive Director and Co-Chair, British Columbia Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT)
- Dr. Robert Adamoski, Associate Director, Admissions and Research, British Columbia Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT)
- Janeen Hoover, Associate Registrar, Registration, Records, and Fees, Conestoga College
- Joanne Duklas, Researcher and Consultant, Duklas Cornerstone Consulting
- Leisa Wellsman, Manager, Applicant Services, Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC)
- Lori MacMullen, Executive Director, Canadian University Council of Chief Information Officers (CUCCIO) - Guest
- Marie-Claude Binette, Registraire, University of Montreal
- Melissa Pool, University Registrar, McMaster University
- Pascal Robichaud, Registraire, Université de Moncton
- Romesh Vadivel, Director, Service Point, McGill University
- Tony Norrad, Associate Registrar, Admissions, Grant MacEwan University